CzyA's Big Head

America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. -Stalin

Thursday, January 27, 2005

CzyA's Technology Review for Jan 2005

I like technology so I am going to post monthly things I see and discuss and talk about them. Right now I am offering free advice to anyone that wants it. Just drop a line in the comments section on this site. Please give me a day or two to reply.


I think the biggest news this month has been from Apple with introduction of the Mac Mini. If you are looking to replace a basic home computer, already have keyboard and mouse, or looking for a media center to hook up to your TV, for USD 500 this is your choice. It used to be common myth that Apples and Windows were incompatable. This is no longer the case. I switched to Apple about 3 years ago when Mac OS 10.1 was realeased. It is a Unix-based operating system making Apple's extremely stable. Unix has been around since the 1960's. Its tried and true and many large businesses have been using some form of Unix for a very long tim. Apple just tied a nice user interface and bundled some really good programs into the Unix stable core and developed a damn good platform. Once I went 6 months without rebooting my iBook. The only time I do is after installing updates that require a restart. Its great.

Another great invention to come from this month's MacWorld Expo was the iShuttle. The flash memory music player from Apple. Wanted an iPod but don't want to spend $500? Well at USD 100 and USD 150, these little gum pack sized players might be what you want. I am considering purchasing one. While they only hold about 250 songs, I don't have more than about 300 on my iBook and only listen to about 50 on a regular basis. So this maybe ideal for those of that would like a portable MP3 music player with Apple's iTunes music store and ease of use.

Microsoft has announced that by this summer that you will have to prove you hav a ligit copy of Windows 2000 or XP to recieve access to major secuity updates. This is another attempt to thwart piracy. I understand their rational behind the move, but the problem is that this makes it even more complicated for home users to deal with. The new registration scheme for Windows XP, and Office XP, requring a connection to the internet or call a phone center to get an access code makes it damn inconveint. I am not convinced that this will do much to thwart piracy of MS products. I do think that if MS reduced its prices on Windows to $50 for Home edition and $150 for Professional that it might help thwart piracy even more. Big time MS profits come from their Office software, especially on Mac because Office for Mac is a great product!, not their OS.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home